Just sharing another list of sources, this time in sequence with the sources I used in a workshop with school nurses about school based RSE.
- BBC news. (1999, March 24). BBC News | Health | Government pledges to cut teen pregnancies. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/302149.stm
In 1998 "More 14 and 15-year-old girls call ChildLine about pregnancy than any other issue."
- Local Government Association, & Public Health England. (2018). Good progress but more to do: Teenage pregnancy and young parents. Case studies and practical examples. Local Government Association. https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/15.7%20Teenage%20pregnancy_09.pdf
Broadly the teenage pregnancy prevention strategy worked, but was most effective in areas where investments made in both school based RSE and youth friendly sexual health services.
- Ofsted. (2021). Review of sexual abuse in schools and colleges. GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/review-of-sexual-abuse-in-schools-and-colleges/review-of-sexual-abuse-in-schools-and-colleges
In almost every school, staff perception of the scale of the problem was lower than students perception of the problem.
- British Board of Film Classification. (2020). Young people, Pornography & Age-verification. https://www.revealingreality.co.uk/work/young-people-pornography-age-verification/
How young people are encountering porn and its impact
- Mori, C., Temple, J. R., Browne, D., & Madigan, S. (2019). Association of Sexting With Sexual Behaviors and Mental Health Among Adolescents: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics, 173(8), 770–779. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.1658
Sexting and links to sexual behaviour and mental wellbeing
- NHS. (2021). Mental Health of Children and Young People in England 2021—Wave 2 follow up to the 2017 survey. NDRS. https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/mental-health-of-children-and-young-people-in-england/2021-follow-up-to-the-2017-survey and
NHS. (2020). Mental Health of Children and Young People in England, 2020: Wave 1 follow up to the 2017 survey. NHS Digital. https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/mental-health-of-children-and-young-people-in-england/2020-wave-1-follow-up
Evidence about young people's mental health including impact of COVID and lockdowns.
- Uecker, J. E., & Martinez, B. C. (2017). When and Why Women Regret Sex in Hookups More Than Men Do: An Analysis of the Online College Social Life Survey. Sociological Quarterly, 58(3), 470–494. https://doi.org/10.1080/00380253.2017.1331716
- Natzler, M., & Evans, D. (2021, July 21). Half of sexually active students have never had a test for a sexually transmitted infection (STI). HEPI. https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2021/07/22/student-relationships-sex-and-sexual-health-survey/
- UK Health, Security, & UK Health Security Agency. (2022). Sexually transmitted infections and screening for chlamydia in England: 2021 report. GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/sexually-transmitted-infections-stis-annual-data-tables/sexually-transmitted-infections-and-screening-for-chlamydia-in-england-2021-report
- Decolonising Contraception | Challenging you to think differently about sexual & reproductive health. (n.d.). Decolonising Contraception. https://decolonisingcontraception.com/
- Washington, H. A. (2008). Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group.*
- United Nations Educational Scientific. (2018). International technical guidance on sexuality education: An evidence-informed approach. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000260770
The international reference document used by many countries to inform their national RSE programs
- Department for Education. (2019). Relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/relationships-education-relationships-and-sex-education-rse-and-health-education
The English guidance
- ONS. (2023). Sexual orientation: Age and sex, England and Wales Census 2021—Office for National Statistics. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/sexuality/articles/sexualorientationageandsexenglandandwales/census2021
- Department for Education. (2022, September 1). Keeping children safe in education. GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/keeping-children-safe-in-education--2
RSE is now positioned as a preventative factor in cases of harmful sexual behaviour and schools are advised to adopt a zero tolerance culture.
- Lloyd, J., & Bradbury, V. (2022). Zero tolerance to sexual harm in schools – from broken rules to broken systems. Journal of Sexual Aggression. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13552600.2022.2057605
A study exploring if taking a zero tolerance approach to harmful sexual behaviour achieves the desired outcomes.
- Sex Education Forum. (2022). New polling shows young people are being failed by poor Relationships and Sex Education in schools and at home | sexeducationforum.org.uk. https://www.sexeducationforum.org.uk/news/news/new-polling-shows-young-people-are-being-failed-poor-relationships-and-sex-education
- Aranda, K., Coleman, L., Sherriff, N. S., Cocking, C., Zeeman, L., & Cunningham, L. (2018). Listening for commissioning: A participatory study exploring young people’s experiences, views and preferences of school-based sexual health and school nursing. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 27(1/2), 375–385. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13936
- Sex Education Forum. (2018). Young people’s RSE poll 2018 [Report]. https://www.sexeducationforum.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/attachment/Young%20people%27s%20RSE%20poll%202018.pdf
What young people want in RSE
- Pound, P., & Campbell, R. (2017). Delivery is just as important as content in sex and relationship education. https://www.bristol.ac.uk/policybristol/policy-briefings/sex-education/?fbclid=IwAR1i5xLa7l2AULyxX6Y88HsSW5yZPBnlfBUA1iIq9n3pQ76Oa68D-n2hodc
Evidence about what works in successful RSE
- The sexeducationforum.org.uk. https://www.sexeducationforum.org.uk/
- Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan (Director). (2022, March 14). Have A Word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbk3iJqmjNU
- Jay clip (no longer available online)
- Thames Valley Police, RockStarDinosaurPiratePrincess, & Blue Seat Studios (Directors). (2015). Tea and Consent—YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwvrxVavnQ
- Taylor, J. (2018). Can I tell you what it feels like? Exploring the harm caused by child sexual exploitation (CSE) films. Full Report
- Sign Health. (2021). Consent. https://signhealth.org.uk/videotags/consent/
- Hoyle, A., & McGeeney, E. (2018). Relationships and sex education (RSE) lesson ideas for the 21st century. Routledge. *
Great collection of RSE resources anyone can use
- Benito, I. B. (2019). Sex Was Rude Now It’s Real: Sexual Education for Wiser Decisions. Biddles Books.*
My RSE starter reading list
* Affiliate link. This post includes some affiliate links. These links do not impact the price you are offered but I may receive a small % of the sale.