I have decided to put together another reading list. This time focusing on the specific overlap between RSE and faith. Including a link on this list is not an explicit recommendation of their full content but as examples of what is being written about the connections between the two field.
(List is not yet complete and will be expanded)
Sadly some links to journal articles are behind a paywall. If you contact the article's author on www.researchgate.net you will often find them willing to email you a copy for free.
Websites and free downloads
- Abrahamic Commentary on the English DfE RSE Legislation
Jewish, Christian and Islamic notes on each learning outcome within the 2019 English RS(H)E statutory guidance for schools.
- Faith, values and sex and relationships education (guidance from the sex education forum that is showing its age but still an interesting read)
- The Sex Thing: Reimagining conversations with young people about sex* (A contemporary book discussing Christianity and talking about sex, including the potential harms of 'purity' culture)
- Young, Woke and Christian: Words from a Missing Generation* (An anthology of topics but a number of chapters look specifically at RSE related topics)
- 4 Views on Pastoring LGBTQ Teenagers: Effective Ministry to Gay, Bi, Trans, Queer, and Questioning Students Among Us*
- Relatable: Exploring God, Love & Connection in the Age of Choice* (Free on Kindle unlimited*)
- more to come
- Not by CSE alone... Furthering reflections on international cooperation in sex education (not about a specific country but exploring the whole dynamic of European programmes being imported into countries with little attention to the local context)
- Scaling up of Life Skills Based Education in Pakistan: a case study
- A Qualitative Study of Egyptian School Nurses’ Attitudes and Experiences Toward Sex and Relationship Education (paywall)
- Islamic parents’ attitudes and beliefs towards school-based sexual and reproductive health education programmes in Oman (paywall)
- Association between sources of sexuality education, sexual beliefs and behaviours in Lebanese young adults (paywall)
- Perceptions and intervention preferences of Moroccan adolescents, parents, and teachers
- Why teach sexuality education in school? Teacher discretion in implementing comprehensive sexuality education in rural Zambia
- Sexuality education in South Africa: Whose values are we teaching? (paywall)
- Students’ attitudes towards school-based sex and relationships education in Tanzania (paywall)
- ‘Sex education should be taught, fine…but we make sure they control themselves’: teachers' beliefs and attitudes towards young people's sexual and reproductive health in a Ugandan secondary school
- Teachers' professional identities in the context of school-based sexuality education in Uganda—a qualitative study
- "I'd rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission": Sexuality education teachers' mediated agency and resistance. (USA)
- Advocacy for school-based sexuality education: lessons from India and Nigeria (Paywall)
- ‘Virginity is a Virtue: Prevent Early Sex’ – Teacher perceptions of sex education in a Ugandan secondary school
- The transformation of school-based sex education policy in the context of AIDS in Ireland (Paywall)
- GoodMuslimBadMuslim podcast (episodes 008, 014, 031)
* Affiliate link. This post includes some affiliate links. These links do not impact the price you are offered but I may receive a small % of the sale.
Post a Comment